Migrating from 4.x to 5.0¶
Guidance on how to upgrade from PlatformIO Core (CLI) v4.x to v5.x with emphasis on major changes, what is new, and what has been removed.
PlatformIO Core 5.0 is fully backward compatible with PlatformIO 4.0 projects.
Please read PlatformIO 5.0 Release Notes before.
- Ensure that you do not use a short version of the Github declaration in lib_deps.
- We recommend updating your project dependency declarations in lib_deps using a new owner-based syntax. See the Library Manager section for details.
PlatformIO Core 5.0 has been switched to the official PlatformIO Trusted Registry:
- Enterprise-grade package storage with high availability (multi replicas)
- Secure, fast, and reliable global content delivery network (CDN)
- Universal support for all packages:
- Development platforms
- Built-in fine-grained access control (role-based, teams, organizations).
The new Web front-end and upgraded PlatformIO Home are coming soon.
PlatformIO Core 5.0 is fully unlocked for developers and teams. They can now share their packages (libraries, Development Platforms, toolchains) with team members or collaborate on open source projects. There are new CLI commands that help you to manage organizations, teams, team memberships, and resource access:
The package management infrastructure has been rewritten from scratch. It is based now on the new PlatformIO Trusted Registry that supports a strict dependency declaration using the package owner. This improvement resolves the issues when package maintainers publish packages under the same name.
PlatformIO Core 5.0 does not handle packages from unofficial repositories declared via
platform.json. There were a lot of security issues and
reports when PlatformIO Core 4.0 hangs when you manage external dependencies.
PlatformIO Core 5.0 uses THE ONLY official PlatformIO Trusted Registry that supports not only the libraries but also Development Platforms and toolchains.
Package maintainers can publish their libraries, development platforms, and toolchains to the registry using platformio package CLI.
The biggest improvement for Library Management is the owner-based dependency declaration.
You can finally forget about conflicts with library names in the registry. Use the new
ownername/pkgname to declare an owner-based dependency in “platformio.ini” (Project Configuration File)
[env:myenv] platform = ... framework = ... board = ... lib_deps = bblanchon/ArduinoJson @ ^6.16.1 knolleary/PubSubClient @ ^2.8
You can find an owner name of a library in the registry using PlatformIO Home > Libraries > Some Library > Installation tab.
PlatformIO Core 5.0 build engine has been upgraded to the latest SCons 4.0 - a next-generation software construction tool:
- Pre/Post processing based on dependent sources (another target, source file, etc.)
- Command launcher with own arguments
- Launch command with custom options declared in “platformio.ini” (Project Configuration File)
- Python callback as a target (use the power of Python interpreter and PlatformIO Build API)
- List available project targets (including dev-platform specific and custom targets) with a new
platformio run --list-targetscommand
See Build System section in PlatformIO Core 5 release notes for more details.
PlatformIO Core 5.0 does not support unofficial package repositories declared through
platform.json that was introduced in PlatformIO 3.0.
Please publish your development platforms and toolchains to the PlatformIO Trusted Registry using platformio package CLI.
The following commands have been changed in v5.0.
|platformio access||New. Manage package access for users, teams, and maintainers|
|platformio package||New. Manage packages in the registry (publish, unpublish)|
|platformio project data||New. Dump build system data intended for IDE extensions/plugins|
|platformio system info||New. Display system-wide information|
|platformio system prune||New. Remove unused data|
|platformio project init||Update project configuration for the specific environment using
|platformio run||List projects targets with
|platformio account destroy||New command to remove permanently PlatformIO Account and related data|